Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Son John, the Surfer



John writes in response to his first look at my new Lifestylepower blog – "(Surfing is) the healthiest aspect of my lifestyle. I am curious if you have heard anything about the negative ions of the ocean and how they affect mood and health? I wish I could do this every day. I think surfers are the healthiest athletes. Great blog."


I agree that surfing looks like a fantastic sport. Due to the ample amounts of Vitamin D they get, the balance and strength it promotes and all the fresh air, John could be correct, surfers may be the healthiest athletes. I don't know about the negative ions of the ocean, but floating along on the waves has got to be great for the soul. John is lean and athletic-looking and I am sure surfing gets lots of credit for his healthy appearance.

I hereby challenge John to write a brief article for my blog extolling and documenting the health virtues of surfing.

John McDougall, my favorite physician, praises windsurfing, which he claims to be great for the body and the soul. So, now I have two Johns who promote the health enhancing qualities of the ocean's waves.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

John gave me a surfing lesson a few years ago and it was one of the most physically demanding things I've ever done. It may not look hard while watching from the beach but let me assure you that paddling against current and waves is not for wussies. John makes it look easy.

Unknown said...

I've recently started Krav Maga training -- it's similar to a martial art but not Asian. It's what the Isreali military trains for hand-to-hand combat. I thought the Mt. Washington Auto Road bike race was difficult until my first Krav Maga class. Now that was tough. Excellent training and stress releif.