Saturday, January 3, 2009

High Nutrition Food Diary - January 3, 2009

Since starting the High Nutrition (Nutritarian) program my weight has held steady in the low to mid 170 range. This program was developed by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. I am not yet a "purist" yet since whole wheat bread and pasta still are present for many of my dinners. I like these foods and am trying to decide whether I should reduce them. Pasta and all breads have much less nutritional value than vegetables, fruit and beans.

This morning's weight was 175.4. I am 5'10.5". Body fat percentage according the the Tanita Scale is 10%. Not sure how accurate the Tanita reading is. The experts say that the best way to determine ideal weight is with a skin fold caliper measuring adipose tissue at the naval. The ideal is .5" or less. I am at about .6". That means my ideal weight is probably at around 165-170 or less.

The research indicates that a high nutrition program like I follow plus being at or below ideal weight makes one virtually heart attack proof and much less vulnerable to other chronic diseases. Hope the experts are correct. I am banking on it.

A high nutrition eating program is almost too good to be true, even though restaurants are a hassle. My hunger is under control. I find it much easier to only eat when I am hungry. The high fiber content of the food plus the favorable nutrients/calories ration completely realigns hunger. Now I it best to eat 2-3 meals per day, rather than the 4-5 that some health experts recommend. It is a win/win situation as far as I am concerned. There are no side affects to a high nutrition diet, after the initiai 6 weeks or so adjustment period. Getting the same results with medications would encompass many undesireable side affects.

My adjustment was easy since I switched from a vegetarian diet. Others might find it more difficult. There are major differences between nutritarian and vegetarian or vegan. The nutritarian program has no added oils, no processed foods. The focus is on vegetables (especially green vegetables) fruit, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, and whole grains. I also do not add salt to food. I vary from this program very rarely.

Breakfast
Green Smoothie
2 small oranges
1 medium banana
4 dates
1/2 cup carrot juice
1 ml DHA Purity (Pure vegan Omega 3 oil)
1 TSBP ground flax seeds
1 cup frozen mixed berries
5 oz organic baby spinach
3 ice cubes

Place oranges, banana, dates and carrot juice, DHA and flax seeds in a high power blender. Blend until smooth. Add berries and blend until smooth. Add spinach a little at a time until fully blended. Add ice cubes and blend until smooth and creamy.

Lunch

Large salad at Sweet Tomatoes restaurant
Spinach
Mixed greens
canned corn (tasted salt free)
canned peas (")
beets (")
garbanzo beans (")
cabbage
They didn't have any acceptable dressings, so I ate it straight. it was good.
nine grain bread

Dinner

Bean, vegetable and whole grain noodle soup
Five grain bread with dried cranberries (Cashew butter and sugar free strawberry preserves)

No comments: