Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Intermittent Fasting for Health and Energy or Skipping Breakfast | Frederic Patenaude Raw Foods Diet

Intermittent Fasting for Health and Energy or Skipping Breakfast | Frederic Patenaude Raw Foods Diet

I have written a few posts on the potential value of intermittent fasting, i.e., periodically going for an extended period 14-24 hours without eating. Frederic Patenaude (pictured left), a raw foods diet advocate, has written a brief article on the subject that I share here. Click on the link above or here to read Patenaude's article.

I believe that there may be  health benefits from intermittent fasting for some people. Patenaude does list some cautions, and I would second the fact that this might not be compatible with some medical conditions. However, I typically skip breakfast and do not eat from about 8 pm to late morning or noon the next day. Some days I have only a small amount of fruit in the morning before exercising, and then eat a normal (vegan) meal in the early afternoon following a workout, and then a larger dinner.  I have plenty of energy for the workout.  This two meal a day routine with a daily 14 hour or so fast routine has become a habit, which I am pleased with.

In addition to the benefits I have listed in my posts cited below, I believe that I sleep better if I don't eat for several hours before bed time, and that my energy levels during the day are higher, not lower, if I skip breakfast, or only have a small amount of fruit in the morning.  

My previous posts on this subject can be found here and here.

No comments: