Monday, December 10, 2012

The Benefits of Daily Journaling

Day One Electronic Journal
Since the last week in October I have been experimenting with keeping a daily journal.  I have found great benefits to this activity, and I am surprised at the enjoyment I am getting from chronically my daily moods, activities, important events, etc.  For the next several weeks, I will record my experiences with keeping a journal for those interested. 


I am beginning to see some tangible benefits from keeping a daily journal.  Journaling helps keep life in perspective.  I look back on entries I made to my journal in the past, and it helps me measure my feelings today, compared to then.  If, for example, I am in a bad mood today, and see life as a dark adventure, I have only to look back, sometimes a few days, to see that I was very happy. 

Journaling also helps fulfill my need to express myself.  Writing down my feelings helps me assess my moods from a more objective vantage point.  Thoughts and feelings that I would be reluctant to share with others, can be written in a secure environment where only I can see it. 

Keeping a journal also allows me to keep a running history of my life.  I am amazed at how quickly I forget important events that may have happened just a month ago.  By periodically reviewing my journal, events stay fresh in my mind.  When did my son buy his new car?  How was I feeling before the presidential election?  How did I feel afterwards?  Journaling is  a memory enhancer.  I am now less likely to say to myself "when did that happen."  The date is either in my mind, or just a journal-read away. 

I have also discovered a way to always have my journal accessible.  I now use Day One.  Just started using it today, and was able to include most of my journal entries back to the end of October, December 10.  Day One is a computer program.  I have a version on my Macbook Air, iPad and iPhone.  One of these gadgets is always with me.  So, when I feel like writing, I can.

One of the other advantages of keeping a journal on a computer is the ability to quickly add photos, icons, doodles and other visual tools to a journal entry.  "Pictures are worth a thousand words."  Images add significantly to making a journal entry vivid and memorable.  For example, while training on my bike, I can take a quick photo with my iPhone, enter the photo in my journal and keep a great visual history of the ride.

The article on this website, summarizes many of the real advantages of journaling.

2 comments:

kneecap said...

great idea. I'm going to try this.

Howard Veit said...

Hi Barb, Nice to hear from you. I have now been keeping a daily journal since early October. In addition to being fun, I can see some real psychological benefits. Hope everything goes will with you.