Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hydration and Morning Depression

When I woke this morning, I was thinking about why some (many) mornings I wake feeling physically and mentally depressed.  This is not my normal state of mind.  I am usually quite cheerful and upbeat during the day and evening.  My daily workouts are an important factor in feeling good.  These darker moods are most mostly confined to early morning upon waking.

The other night when I was fighting a head cold, I took great care to drink LOTS of water.  Keeping well hydrated is thought to be an effective way to reducing the bad symptoms of a head cold.  This is because coughing, sneezing, blowing noses and draining sinuses causes the body to lose water.

The morning after I took special care to drink a lot, I felt much better than normal, even though my cold was still in its peak phase.  This caused me to ask whether dehydration might be the cause of my feeling blue in the morning.  Since I ride my bike relatively long distances on most days, it is possible that I am in a constant state of dehydration.  The condition would be exaggerated in the morning since I have gone 6-8 hours without drinking anything.  If I go to bed slightly dehydrated, the condition becomes more severe throughout the night.

As I write this, I do feel a little down.  Last night I did drink more than usual before bedtime, but probably not enough.  Certainly I didn’t drink as much as I did the other night when I woke feeling relatively upbeat and ready to go.

I will experiment with keeping a water bottle with me during the evening and making sure I drink lots before bedtime.  The downside is that it might cause me to wake, even more than usual, to pee during the night.  We’ll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Useful information. Depression is a serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel and how you act. Here you have given some tips to overcome this morning depression. Thanks for giving such a piece of valuable information.